Rwanda says Mozambique has secured funds for it to continue Cabo Delgado mission
Published on: May 19, 2026, 11 p.m. | Source: Devdiscourse
Rwanda's foreign minister said on Tuesday that Mozambique had secured the funds for Rwanda's army to continue its deployment in the insurgency-hit and gas-rich Cabo Delgado province. Rwanda sent troops to northern Mozambique in 2021, at Mozambique's request, to help stabilise areas previously overrun by an Islamic State-linked insurgency. Its mission was partly funded by the European Union, which Rwanda's Foreign Minister Olivier Nduhungirehe said had become reluctant to provide funding.
